St Joseph’s Quirindi History
Catholic Education began in Quirindi in January 1885 with the arrival from Lochinvar of three black habit St Joseph’s Sisters to establish a school. Quirindi was then in the Gunnedah Parish in the Diocese of Maitland.
In 1887 following the re-organisation of Diocesan boundaries, Quirindi was incorporated into the Armidale Diocese and the Sisters from Lochinvar were withdrawn and returned to Maitland.
In 1888, following a request to Mother Mary MacKillop from Bishop Torreggiani, a community of four sister of the brown habit of St Joseph was established in Quirindi to run a school with an enrolment of 67 children. These nuns came from Mount Street, North Sydney.